The deadline for this competition has now passed and the winners will be announced in September.
Enter our 2022 creative writing competition
The national creative writing competition returns for a third year!
Could you be the winner of the 2022 competition? Once again, we are delighted to partnering with Bloomsbury, in the search for the best short story written by a u3a member.
We will be supplying copies of the Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook 2022 to the 12 top entries. The Yearbook is edited by Alysoun Owen, who returns as one of the judges selecting the overall winner from all of the entries. Alysoun will also be running some Zoom sessions on how to get published, so do look out for those on our online events page.
In addition, the winner will see their story published in Third Age Matters magazine, which reaches over a quarter of a million households, with a bespoke illustration to accompany it. The winner will see their story in print and will receive a framed copy of their story as it appears in the magazine.
You may want to discuss your ideas in your interest groups via phone, email or Zoom or this may inspire you to start up your own creative writing group. There is advice on how to do this from our creative writing Subject Adviser. Whatever you decide, we want your story!
How it works
- In summary, your story must be your own, individual, original work, in English, a maximum of 1500 words, and not submitted anywhere else.
- Your submission must be on the theme of: OPENING(S).
- A full listing of the rules can be found HERE and you must read these fully. Any submission which does not meet these will not be considered.
- Please submit your entry in Microsoft Word. We don’t have the software to open .ong and .png files and so won’t be able to accept these unfortunately.
- All submissions will be judged by group judging panels and the best story from each group will be compared to decide on an overall winner.
You can upload your story here, and all entries will need to be submitted via this to be accepted. The deadline for submission is 12 noon on Thursday 16th June 2022.
You can also sign up for u3a's special event How to Get Published: Some Practical Advice with Alysoun Owen, Editor of bestseller Writers' & Artists' Yearbook
How to Get Publish; Some Practical Advice with Alysoun Owen
Alysoun Owen, Editor of the bestselling Writers' & Artists' Yearbook, has commissioned several books on writing and publishing for Bloomsbury. She has worked in publishing and literature in the UK and overseas for over 30 years.
In this special talk exclusively for u3a members, Alysoun shares her experiences and knowledge of the publishing process by providing advice about the options available to authors.