Art History and Art Appreciation
Contact the Adviser - Art History Mike Carr
I am retired, living between Bristol and Bath, and have been a member of U3A Bath since 2017.
I have an honours degree in Humanities with Art History (2003) with the Open University, and enjoy a wide range of art in most media, and throughout most historic periods.
I was “volunteered” by the retiring convenor of our group in 2018, when the group by mutual agreement renamed to Art History –Further Study and Discussion as it reflected more of what we planned to do rather than just Art History.
We meet monthly and since then our group has chosen their own subjects to talk about, including sculpture, architecture, painting, drawing and installations. These included; Ice Age Art, Australian, Asian, African, North and South American, and art most European countries, plus an explanation of a whole host of artistic "isms".
As National Art History Subject Advisor my role is to:
- Support new convenors or members wishing to start a new group, by providing advice on start up, and operation
- Support for existing Art History convenors looking for new ideas and providing added interest in their group.
- Stimulating group members’ interaction and discussion around Art History.
- Share ideas from other groups, including help with research and information, improving presentations, and alternative ideas for the format of group talks.
- Set up a network of Art History Group convenors to share ideas and perhaps help resolve problems
- Let me know about you and your group, or planned group, and how I can help you.
- I can respond by email and perhaps then set a zoom meeting to discuss further